Wednesday 3 June 2009

Being ill

I hate being ill. I always have done, and am a lousy "patient" as I hate not being able to do things for myself.
However, since late last year/early this year I have had to adjust my outlook on things. After finding out I have a heart problem and asthma, I am having to adjust how I approach some things in life. Because of the asthma, certain painkillers can no longer be used, and there are others I couldn't use before, which leaves me with paracetamol.
At the moment I have a really bad wheezy chest that is making me have a barking cough and sore throat, also sending me dizzy when I cough. And when I saw the doc, he said my heart was racing and my temp was far too high. He gave me a course of steroids to take to get rid of the wheezing. They are beginning to ease me a little, but I am sleeping more than 12 hours at a time. And when I am awake I have little or no energy.
So, I suppose from now on, if I feel ill I may have to give in to it straight away rather than fight it. The other thing is, I don't think I'll be fit for work until Friday at the earliest, but if I leave it over the weekend, my strength should have rebuilt more. Before all this I just used to bounce back! Guess those days are over now, or at least until the heart and asthma are properly under control.
I'm sorry about the moan, but all these things are made worse by stress, and right now, although my pay packet doesn't say that I have a stressful job, it is very stressful.

No comments: