Monday 28 January 2019

Beware, they walk amongst us.

I have heard a the Darwin Awards, and even have a book about it, but today I encountered two people who might be candidates in the future.
I'll set the scene for the first. I was walking/hobbling, (still using the crutches,) down the street, and there were some guys working around a hole in the road, they had a pump going, that looked like it was losing the battle with the water in the hole. At first, I thought it was the water authority, due to the water around, but I noticed that one of the vans had northwest electricity on it. I just commented that it didn't look great, and the guy said that they had been forced to switch the power off in the immediate area. I went on my way. Further down the street I saw one of the shopkeepers, she was letting people know, as the hole was right next to her shop. Then one of the other people who was around, trying to find out what was going on complained that she'd just got in and wanted a brew.....she wondered why they couldn't switch it on so she could have a brew!  (Obviously doesn't know that electricity and water are a bad mix, to put it mildly.
The second was a pair of women in Aldi, I overheard them questioning rhetorically why strawberries are so expensive at the moment?   I had to move past as quickly as I could, before I started laughing.  It's not as if where I live is in the centre of a huge city. They must have seen fruit and veg growing, if not locally, on TV shows.  Have these people not heard about growing seasons, and know that it costs money to have soft fruits imported from other countries?
Oh well, I guess that sooner, or later, they might become Darwin Award winners.

No comments: