Wednesday 10 April 2013

What do you think?

Apparently each and every MP will be paid the sum of £3,750 to attend Margaret Thatcher's funeral!

My first reaction, as I'm sure will be the same for many others is...I'll go if you get paid that much...but what I really want to know is exactly WHERE the funds for this are coming from?  I sincerely hope it will not be the tax payer.
For £3,750 the people who disliked Maggie could have a damned good party, maybe even get an entertainer, (see my previous post.)
If anyone should wish to attend Maggie's funeral they should do so under NORMAL employment restrictions.   That is where I work, if the deceased is a close relative you have the day off with pay, nothing more.  If you wish to attend the funeral of a friend, you lose a day's pay, or take a holiday...Just why is it MPs get to distort the rules so much they are no longer recognisable as rules?

1 comment:

walker531 said...

The estimated cost for the funeral is about £10m (although the government won't say yet). This is presumably before the cost of MPs attending is included. I can't imagine why they can't be subject to the same rules as everyone else. I thought that they had already been paid for work that day it's outrageous that they will get 'paid' again.
There was a news story last week that MPs wanted to have a lunch allowance instead of an evening meal allowance, which they had to work until 7.30 for. If we are already paying for them to live as close to work as a lot of people, why should we also pay for them to get a free meal?

It will be interesting to see if Radio 1 plays the current number 10 in the top 20 this weekend - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead by Judy Garland (I've just seen that it is now no.1 in the download charts). The dilemma must be generating a lot of meetings in the BBC at the moment - now that's another 'public' institution with unreasonably high salaries and expenses.