Wednesday 20 February 2019

Random acts of kindness

Last week there was a "Random Acts of Kindness" day. (RAK day)
At the weekend, one of the radio stations was encouraging listeners to ring in and describe their own RAK.
I have a few problems with this, and what I heard on the radio.
But.......before you jump down my throat telling me that RAK are a good thing, yes, I know that they are, but the radio phone in was all wrong.
RAK were originally supposed to be anonymous, with the act making the recipient smile. I have carried out RAK in the past, I won't say who, or what, etc.
But asking people to ring in and tell about their RAK, to me takes away from the act, in my eyes.
Another problem I had was people were saying that they did X for family member Y, and so on, but to me, it's natural to be kind to your family members.
Another facet of the original idea was to make a random stranger's day by your act.....not one person rang in udescribing their act to a stranger.
Being kind to others comes normal to less and less people, which is a shame, as the world we live in is becoming increasingly harsh, which is a great pity.

No comments: