Saturday 2 February 2019

New superpowers......probably?

So, as the years roll by more and more things that were once taken for granted are disappearing from every day usage.
I wonder if you can add any to this list?
Common sense is fast dying out, you only need to pick up a pack of peanuts, turn them over, and there it is......MAY CONTAIN NUTS! It's a packet of peanuts, what else do you expect?
The next two go hand in hand, for me. These are courtesy and good manners.
Yesterday, I was having a hobble to Morons, using crutches, when a young man was walking towards me.  We were both on the same line of walking, and if neither of us took evasive action, we would have collided.
Now, when I was his age I would automatically have walked around the person, (me,) for two reasons....1) being younger than them, and 2) more mobile......did this young man walk around me? Well, yes, eventually, but he gave me a filthy look.......unfortunately I can't change direction easily any longer, due to my ankle/foot, osteoarthritis and sometimes my spinal stenosis can affect my mobility.  I would have thought that elbow crutches are pretty noticeable......perhaps I should have a large sign printed stating that my crutches, or sticks, are not an affectation, but are actual tools/aids that help me get around, and without them I can't walk so far.
So....common courtesy and good manners are also dying out.
Can you suggest anything that used to be almost automatic and no longer is in every day use?

1 comment:

walker531 said...

By looking back over the years I realise that I may be introducing an element of rose
tinted glasses, but things that seem to have got worse include:

Children's behaviour at school.

Parents driving their children to school over distances of less than 1
mile (environmental, exercise and health issues).

Homelessness and rough sleeping.

Peoples expectations of entitlement e.g. phones, Sky TV, foreign
holidays, and their willingness to get into debt to have them. Or
perhaps my 'don't have if you can't pay for it' outlook is a bit of
self flagellation, and perhaps we should be allowed to experience as
much as we can in life whilst we are here (within limits!), as log as
it doesn't hurt anyone else.

People who put their feet up on bus and train seats.

Cyclists that ignore red lights and ride on pavements. This causes
danger to other people and results in an environment of hostility
towards other cyclists.

The amount of litter that is now jettisoned all over the country.

This all seems a bit negative so, on a more optimistic note I have
tried to think of things that have improved over time:

The public smoking ban.

Improvements in equality (not there yet but improving).

Acceptance of differing sexualities and disabilities.

Whilst there are still pockets where racism still exists, most people
are now more accepting of people who were historically seen as
immigrants (or has this just transferred to European immigrants?).

Food in pubs + customer service