Monday 3 September 2012

Babies

If you follow my craft blog, Fidgetty Fingers, you'll know that there have been lots of people having babies who I know, mostly colleagues, but also, my nephew's wife, and a few neighbours, or their son's partners
Even when my own children were babies, and before that I have always been cautious and never bigged up how bonny, how clever or how anything mine were.  And I will never say that a baby is bonny if I don't think so.  I won't say it's ugly, just won't comment.
Does that make me a horrible person?

I've just seen a friend, and she has been telling me how bonny her grandchild is, and how clever, and how much she likes her food, etc.  The baby in question was born 5-6 weeks premature and should be roughly the same age as my great niece, Amelia.  I might be wrong, but I always thought that premature babies were considered to be at the developmental stage at which they should have been if they were full term.  What I mean is, Amelia is six months old, and her parents are slowly introducing solids into her diet and have been from around four months, as recommended.  Surely, the baby that was born premature should only be at the same stage, if they were both due around the same date?  And Amelia was a rare baby in that she actually landed on her due date by natural birth, not Caesarian.
Is what I always thought wrong, and it's OK to ignore the fact the baby was premature?  And give it solids from four months after it's birth.
And yes, I know I'm biased, but Amelia is a very bonny baby, the other one is not.

No comments: