Monday 9 October 2023

An experience from a few weeks ago

 As some of you might know, I occasionally tutor.

Yesterday I went to meet a potential pupil, and their parents told me something that horrified me. 

As a lot of you will know, if you're required to have an up-to-date DBS certificate, if you're working with children, (there are other categories as well, such as vulnerable adults,).

However, when this family asked another potential tutor about it, he got all cagey, and advised them to look elsewhere.

My point is, if you are thinking of employing a tutor for your children, or maybe a carer for a vulnerable adult....ASK about the DBS certificate.. if the potential tutor has one, they will not be offended at being asked, and should either show you their actual certificate, or give you the unique number so that you can check it out for yourself.

There might have been a very good reason the other potential tutor, for this family, not having a DBS certificate, but I doubt it.  As my pupils come to me referred through an agency, and the agency has holding the DBS as a mandatory requirement to be on their books, any tutor from the same agency will be ok. 

This family asked about DBS, a CV and safeguarding prior to even meeting me though, which is the first time I have been asked.  I wasn’t concerned, as basically, when I meet the family, as I did yesterday, it is for all intents and purposes, a job interview, and as that, you should expect such questions. 

No comments: